What do you use for test equipment?

Aes256pro

Re: What do you use for test equipment?

Post by Aes256pro » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:05 pm

This is what I picked up. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Trimble-ThunderBo ... Ciid%253A1

The seller was great and provided a lot if extra information and support. It's small and very precise.
Falcon
Site Admin

Post by Falcon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Aes256pro wrote:This is what I picked up. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Trimble-ThunderBo ... Ciid%253A1

The seller was great and provided a lot if extra information and support. It's small and very precise.
Nice find! I would like to do something like that, but I'd really like to pick up a net clock. Might have to find a small child to sell first! :o
support@commtechforums.net
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
Project25
Wiki Admin

Post by Project25 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:37 pm

Falcon wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:28 pm
Aes256pro wrote:This is what I picked up. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Trimble-ThunderBo ... Ciid%253A1

Nice find! I would like to do something like that, but I'd really like to pick up a net clock. Might have to find a small child to sell first! :o
Depending on how I feel that day...I might let you have access to one of my micro-heathens.

Been awhile since this thread got updated so here's some interesting sides.

About a year ago (now), I purchased a factory refurbished R2670A from Freedom CTE. It was part of a 10 unit trade-in deal they got from Michigan State Police who was upgrading to R8100's. Mine was fully loaded (being an A model) with all of the now out-dated technology test setups (Astro, Type I and II, Securenet, etc). Still good for analog, P25 Phase I but not good for OBT trunking (works like a charm in 7/800 and 900 MHz though).

I've also come into possession of a lot more telecom test sets. The R2600, and I'm told R8000, series monitors are capable of emulating tone remote functions though some math is required as they do not display those audio levels in dBm but in Volts. You can do basic remote and adapter alignments with them but you will need a true dual-channel oscilloscope if you want to use Lissajou paterns to align a 2175 Hz notch filter. I'm still a fan of the Lineman's Helper tool which is specifically geared at playing remote with a dBm read out for RX and TX on the pair but I've also acquired some other test sets which can output -13 to 0 dBm and 1001 Hz to 4000 Hz tone function generators.

While I love my old school Harris buttset, I've also begun using a Fluke TS-54 TDR buttset which is a handy tool. I'm going through a retro phase playing with tone-remotes and consoles. Especially since the current run of Motorola consoles is based off tone and E&M technology when interfacing to consolettes.

Another interesting tool (which is brand new to the market) is the new AEA Liberator series of test units. Specifically, their two port VNA which has full VNA functions as well as spec-an, tracking gen, TDR, RL Bridge and some other nifty features in a semi-low cost unit (~$2500). While I don't have one I've gotten to play with them through development since the sales engineer is a friend and got to function test the final beta unit last week.