Mag Mount, or Install? Which do you prefer?

Armygreen4
CTF Team Supporter

Re: Mag Mount, or Install? Which do you prefer?

Post by Armygreen4 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:38 pm

I only use Mag mounts for temporary use.
"To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy"--Sun Tzu Art Of War
Project25
Wiki Admin

Post by Project25 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:56 pm

GMT0000 wrote:NMO for sure. Mags aren't even an option on the new Ford's........already had a customer try it :lol:
The aluminum actually turned most of the people I know. My wife, who was a Ford fanatic, doesn't even show any interest in them now since "Alumigeddon".
Aes256pro

Post by Aes256pro » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:35 pm

What is the least expensive drill bit for the NMO mount? I'm will to try and drill a hole. :lol:
Aes256pro

Post by Aes256pro » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:37 pm

Also, what's the best low profile 70cm antenna for the NMO mount. Shark fin? 3db gain would be nice as well.
Falcon
Site Admin

Post by Falcon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:31 am

I first used a 3/4 hole saw from the hardware store. The best option is the Laird. It's worth the money.

My everyday UHF antenna (I carry a collinear but never put it on) that's on my truck and it's also the antenna my friends use is the Maxrad/PCTEL 430-480 BLMPV430. The dang thing just works. No problems with repeaters 40 plus miles away.
support@commtechforums.net
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
gtaman

Post by gtaman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:36 am

Drilled NMO all day long. I have a mag mount. It sits on top of a filing cabinet. It's stuck to the side of an ammo can laying down. I'm tempted to buy another ammo can and drill a hole in it and put a true NMO mount in it. Just for practice.
R.A.S. Retard Avoidance System
jim202

Post by jim202 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:53 pm

nhfirefighter wrote:I agree with the previous drilled comments. I used to go the magnet route but never will again. The performance difference is amazing.

That said for your purposes and certain applications magnet mounts maybe the best solution just cover the magnet with a rubber boot to prevent rusting of the vehicles paint.

If you need to have a temp mount for a day, you can get by with the mag mount. But to use it for any long duration, the fine particles in the air find their way around and even under the magnet in some cases and just sand blast the paint paint finish. I have seen some that were on a vehicle for a week and it looked like a piece of round sandpaper had been used on the roof. What a mess. Glad it wasn't on my vehicle.
Avery Johannssenn

Post by Avery Johannssenn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:56 am

Drill, baby, drill!

I'm super happy with my NMO mounts. Been on there for years with no issues.
Avery Johannssenn

Post by Avery Johannssenn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:02 am

Aes256pro wrote:Also, what's the best low profile 70cm antenna for the NMO mount. Shark fin? 3db gain would be nice as well.
I'm using a 470-520 T-band Laird Phantom elite on my car with great results. Even works well hitting the local 70cm repeaters. Everything here is T-band, so I had to get that bandsplit.
Foxtrotdelta

Post by Foxtrotdelta » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:13 am

Apologies for not remembering who to credit this to but, "Magnets belong on refrigerators!"

We keep some around for testing purposes but drill at every chance we get. Some customers are so set against it though that we usually find a way to use a glass-mount instead.
b1tr41d

Post by b1tr41d » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:41 pm

Falcon wrote:I first used a 3/4 hole saw from the hardware store.
I tried that once since the Laird hole saw I was using broke the blade. I had two holes to drill and as luck would have it, it broke after I drilled the first hole.
The issue that I had was the hole saw from the hardware store was just a tad too big so the bottom piece of the NMO would not seat correctly on the bottom of the roof. Seems that the OD of the hardware store hole saw is a little bit bigger than the one from Laird. The bottom piece would come up through the hole when I tried to put the top piece on. A couple of pieces of sheet metal to extend the tabs on the bottom piece and it worked. :oops:
Fortunately it was on my own vehicle and not a customers.
RadioRookie
CTF Team Supporter

Post by RadioRookie » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:04 pm

Hole saws have a tendency to "walk" really bad on metal. The saw may be 3/4 in diameter, but it will often leave a 7/8 inch oblong hole.
“When you tell somebody something, it depends on what part of the country you're standing in as to just how dumb you are.”
4Oasis

Post by 4Oasis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:11 am

In my setup I use a lip mount I never been fond of the drill hole in to vehicle thing but each to their own preference!
Project25
Wiki Admin

Post by Project25 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:28 am

4Oasis wrote:In my setup I use a lip mount I never been fond of the drill hole in to vehicle thing but each to their own preference!
I think the thought of drilling a hole into their vehicle scares the average joe. Especially with the price of modern vehicles. I mean seriously, the half ton my father bought new a few years ago cost more than the one ton it replaced when they were both new and both were comparably equipped.

Some see a vehicle as their pride and joy…others a machine, a tool, something to get you from point a to b in a reliable and timely fashion.

But to be honest, I'm more nervous popping holes in the customer's new PPV Tahoe or Freightliner than I am my own vehicle. I don't freak out when I need to work around an issue on my vehicle…if a customer is watching, they could just loose their stuff.
leecom1601

Post by leecom1601 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:49 am

Drilling a hole all day long! No better feeling then drilling a hole in a brand new car!!! Must be the installer in me.