Mag Mount, or Install? Which do you prefer?

Project25
Wiki Admin

Re: Mag Mount, or Install? Which do you prefer?

Post by Project25 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:16 am

microwave mike wrote:Drill if you are going to keep the car, truck for over 5 years. It will not affect the resale with hole plugs. The antenna system will work better with the good ground plane. The next best is a hood or trunk mount. Still attached to body ground. A mag mount is a temp mount. The only thing that works worst is glass mount antennas.

mm
That's a personal assessment. I don't keep vehicles that long usually…but I still drill them. Won't affect the value either way…as long as it's done right. Modern vehicles have OEM equipment on the roof that's not sold with all options…what's a properly installed antenna mount?
z39SD

Post by z39SD » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:22 am

Magmount is Not ulñjjbetter, they donut fall over or vibrate from the location. I have had great results with Anderson antennas and mounts. Ive compared thenm against the best other companies have to offer and the Larson devies have more to offer. The Larson Dual band 2/70 compared well against th e PCTelll dual an
Tenna.
Z39SD
Modifying Motorola Radios since the early 70s
256QAM

Post by 256QAM » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:57 pm

Have you ever looked at what a mag mount does to your paint after a wet season? 3/4" hole I can put a rain cap on when I sell it... Or a 3+ inch discolored rust circle on paint. Um yeah, drill and forget.

Also don't let the mechanic shop do the drill work, one of our fleet vehicles has body plugs in the headliner because he drilled TWICE from the roof thru the headliner. WTF.