Austin Antenna Experience

Unit_91

Austin Antenna Experience

Postby Unit_91 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:18 pm

Good Day All....

Has anyone had experience with the "commercial" versions of Austin antennas? They seem to have quite the offering, and also sell duplexers/triplexers/quadplexers with "too good to be true" pricing.

I am most curious about the 500C3 model antennas as a triband for an 8500 but information is limited. I know the company is still in business since scanner buffs buy the "Spectra" antenna left and right, but I have only met one agency running the mobile commerical antennas and they love them (they are using 500C dual band for VHF/UHF in the public safety world).

Of course, the concerning thing, other than pricing is I can only find information about the commercial products on one website, rfwiz.com

Thanks in advance!

Project25
CTF Team Supporter

Re: Austin Antenna Experience

Postby Project25 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:03 pm

I had a 500c for a few months. VHF it was fine but it's not a trapped 1/4 wave on UHF but instead an end-fed half wave design (as I was told when I called the company owner to inquire) so it only had 10 MHz of usable bandwidth.

My honest opinion, the Panorama Sharkee with the tri-band antenna is poised to make one of the better pairings with the 8500 since the housing contains GPS, Wi-Fi, and LTE. I'm beginning to see GPS requirements on the system which comes from the municipality that owns the core. The triband whip, covers 145-174/430-480/764-896 with an SWR of 2.0:1 or less (I've actually tested the one on my POV).

Unit_91

Postby Unit_91 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Project25 wrote:I had a 500c for a few months. VHF it was fine but it's not a trapped 1/4 wave on UHF but instead an end-fed half wave design (as I was told when I called the company owner to inquire) so it only had 10 MHz of usable bandwidth.

My honest opinion, the Panorama Sharkee with the tri-band antenna is poised to make one of the better pairings with the 8500 since the housing contains GPS, Wi-Fi, and LTE. I'm beginning to see GPS requirements on the system which comes from the municipality that owns the core. The triband whip, covers 145-174/430-480/764-896 with an SWR of 2.0:1 or less (I've actually tested the one on my POV).

Worked with a couple agencies that rave about the Sharkee so it's tempting.

Can you answer two questions on it:

1. Does it mount ok on a slightly curved surface (for example the rear of a sedan roof, 6" off the top of the rear window)? Some multiband MIMO WiFi/LTE antennas (such as Taoglas) seem to have too thin of a gasket to adapt to the curvature of a roof.

2. Have you used it with a PCS BDA such as WeBoost or Surecall? Looking at one application that has BDA for mobile data with your typical carrier USB modem (not my decision)

Project25
CTF Team Supporter

Postby Project25 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:08 pm

It's got a 1/8th inch piece of 3M tape as the seal which covers the entire base of the antenna. It is still secured via a 3/4 inch hole though. The tape makes it adapt to curves better.

Never have tried one with a BAD but had I continued to work in the oil patch I would've added one to mine. Should work without issue.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Return to “Antennas”