Quantar PA Failure

ASRM
CTF Team Supporter

Quantar PA Failure

Post by ASRM » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Sadly my 25 watt UHF Range 2 Quantar had a PA failure yesterday morning, we have had a lot of heavy thunderstorms and lots of lightening.

System is grounded and I use a PolyPhaser on the line, but not sure if that was what too it out, the other 15 repeaters on the tower are fine, though yesterday after I swapped over to my backup repeater (analog YUCK!) we had a lightening hit on the property and it somehow did a surge to the Wifi Wireless company's router and modem, he things it was a power-line surge. I run an APC 650 on my gear.

Anyway can I just order a new 25 watts PA module and swap it out? Or can I put a 100 watt PA in it's place? If so does the repeater need retuned or just a reload of the codeplug?

I can get another 100 watt PA in Range 2, have Sunny Communications looking into a 25 watt.

I did end up buying another Quantar except this is a 100 watt system and deadline the TPL amp (got a super good price from them, they have always treated me right on their used gear).

What does CTF experts think? I hate to let the 25 watt unit collect dust. I can see throwing it at the homestead for a small 5 mile system at the range.

Thanks, as always great help from you guys.

Dave
Notarola
Site Admin

Re: Quantar PA Failure

Post by Notarola » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:21 pm

Yes you can swap out the PA module. You should retune just to verify output power is what you think it is, no two modules are exactly the same. I cant see why you cant put the 100 watt stage on the unit. Although the firmware may not be happy with the change and you may have to convince it its ok to work.

check out this page it has some of the info on the resistor values you may need to tweak.
http://wiki.w9cr.net/index.php/Quantar#Code_Plug_format
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
ASRM
CTF Team Supporter

Post by ASRM » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks, I will look into that, my other option is to send it to Sunny, though freight will be a pain, I am not real keen on using our local Motorola dealer, they complained and balked when I mentioned a firmware update on a PM400 once.

Though with the pulling down of a lot of systems in our area for Starcom21 there is a possibility they might have a PA that will work.
Notarola
Site Admin

Post by Notarola » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Lots of options available. Let us know how it goes.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
ASRM
CTF Team Supporter

Post by ASRM » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:01 pm

I spoke with Zac at Sunny Comms, I am going to send it in to them and see what is more cost effective, pump it up to 100 watts (having a redundant repeater makes better sense) or keep it at 25 watts (was running it at just 8 watts for the TPL - I can't imagine running it that low would cause issues?).

I do know running analog is a pain, wife actually commented how it is harder to hear at times compared to the P25.
Notarola
Site Admin

Post by Notarola » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:37 pm

Re reading this thread I think that this information can be used by the membership. All credit goes to W9CR and his web page where this data came from.
Attachments
Pa resistors.jpg
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
realgary2

Post by realgary2 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:55 am

One thing to watch for going from 25w to 100w is if the power supply is high or low power. The 100w pa will only work with a high ppower supply. The low power is lacking a 28v output. Look at the label on the side of the ps. If it doesnt have 28 volt output listed, only a 25 watt will work unless you change ps as well. The low power pa will work with either ps, it just wont use the 28 volts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Notarola
Site Admin

Post by Notarola » Thu May 10, 2018 3:14 pm

Thanks for that info. I have made a note of it in my files.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]