XTS5000: Revenge of the Whore-Flash

XTS XTL Series Radio Discussion
Forum rules
The requesting of licensed software is strictly prohibited.
NavyBOFH
Site Staff

XTS5000: Revenge of the Whore-Flash

Post by NavyBOFH » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:28 am

Working on an XTS5000 that I didn't ever think would have such a flashcode, nor such a nightmare to work on...

XTS5000 HOST/DPS at R09, Codeplug written by current owner at R20, with a flash code of 5A9008-101F87-7
Radio's owner wants to do FPP AND Trunking... can't do that with Q53 in there which should have never been loaded (among other stupid options checked). Even if I "magically" removed Q53 and some other idiotic options, R09 CPS is not in my collection anymore - lowest I have is R07 but next one up from there I have is like R15 or R16.

So really I want to just rip all FPP options out of it and upgrade Host/DPS to R20, program with CPS R20, and get over with this nightmare.

People with Depot and iButtons should be shot for passing off a radio like this as "factory options" to uneducated customers.
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
Project25
Wiki Admin

Re: XTS5000: Revenge of the Whore-Flash

Post by Project25 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:25 pm

We can only limit it so much. Many of us will return a radio to matching tag status before we get rid of them but some apparently don’t have such common sense any longer.

I’ve found FPP to be somewhat useless…especially when you can typically get by on 25-30 channels with MPL for a given state (especially for the amateur 2m band).

Upgrade it and return it to matching flash and then add only what is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NavyBOFH
Site Staff

Post by NavyBOFH » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Project25 wrote:We can only limit it so much. Many of us will return a radio to matching tag status before we get rid of them but some apparently don’t have such common sense any longer.

I’ve found FPP to be somewhat useless…especially when you can typically get by on 25-30 channels with MPL for a given state (especially for the amateur 2m band).

Upgrade it and return it to matching flash and then add only what is needed.
My plan exactly. The person also has a programming cable, CPS, and a laptop so even he said "I can always add another zone quickly if needed" which is what put me down this path of "screw it". I am with you on the MPL as well, which I think is mostly what he would use it for. VHF Itinerant and 2m Ham with MPL would cover 99% of what would ever be changed on the fly.

As for pruning down the flash code... I am thinking of pulling Q52, Q53, Q445 (don't know why anyone would really need that outside of a department), and H43/H46 I think can be removed safely as well... I don't recall ever having those options on any trunked radio I maintained in the past. The system he is authorized to be on is a 3600 baud P25 system about to be migrated to 9600 baud Astro 25.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
Notarola
Site Admin

Post by Notarola » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:02 pm

There are too many using depot to mess with radios. The one site is full of people doing it. They dont care if the tuning is messed up or anything.

My policy is if a unauthorized unit or programming shows up on my system there will be hell to pay. So far this hasnt happened. We are 1005 EAS and have not made any attempts to hide that. That alone discourages most from trying. We also have let it known that the encryption keys are rotated regularly. Fiannly we have a intern whos responsibility is to check the system logger and flag inactive units. 2 months and the unit is verified physically before being put back into the update pool.

I mention this to illustrate that FPP is useless. Even for myself I have a laptop and cable I take with me to events. if for what ever reason I want to add their channels i just jump out to the car and re program. I feel that makes me look more professional rather than like a child dialing over to 'ch 17' .
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
NavyBOFH
Site Staff

Post by NavyBOFH » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Luckily the user agreed to let me trash FPP and make the unit a trunking radio.

So I will remove the unnecessary options with certain means, and program the radio to his specifications. I also need to update the dinosaur firmware and will toss it on my service monitor to make sure it wasn't goon-tuned before being sold to him. So far it seems to work alright but there's a chip missing from the bottom casing indicative of someone opening up the casing with a screwdriver... so I don't hold high hopes for the accuracy of the tuning if it was even done.

Luckily other than the whore-flash with probably a hacked iButton - the serials match and all parts look original and unmolested. That at least reassured me the radio was just touched by an incompetent person and not a malicious one.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]