Resources for Info On GE Orions

General P25 discussion
Project25
Wiki Admin

Resources for Info On GE Orions

Post by Project25 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:53 am

Trying to get my feet wet with the Orion. I was recently given an Orion to play with that came off a 800 MHz system (no one currently knows offhand if it was programmed for the old EDACS or previous P25 system (obsoleted due to a full Phase 2 migration).

Anyone have a good jumping off reference so I can try and figure out which software I will require and exactly what the radio is configured for?
Falcon
Site Admin

Re: Resources for Info On GE Orions

Post by Falcon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:52 pm

Need to power it up and look at the feature set menu. Will be a series of two digit numbers. I've seen decoders for those but it's been awhile.
support@commtechforums.net
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
MOTechGuy

Post by MOTechGuy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:12 am

The software it requires depends on the firmware version.

It will either need ProGrammer or RPM. You can roll back firmware to ProGrammer if you can't get RPM.

Feature codes can be viewed in the menu typically unless that's been disabled, then you have to read it with ProGrammer or RPM to figure them out.

Feature code 33 P25 Conventional is the most desirable, if you don't have that then no P25.

There's a GE Orion Yahoo group with some info. Maybe someone else can chime in on the firmware revisions?
Make Amateur Radio Great Again! Use P25 and DMR on the ham bands.
Project25
Wiki Admin

Post by Project25 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:26 am

MOTechGuy wrote:The software it requires depends on the firmware version.

It will either need ProGrammer or RPM. You can roll back firmware to ProGrammer if you can't get RPM.

Feature codes can be viewed in the menu typically unless that's been disabled, then you have to read it with ProGrammer or RPM to figure them out.

Feature code 33 P25 Conventional is the most desirable, if you don't have that then no P25.

There's a GE Orion Yahoo group with some info. Maybe someone else can chime in on the firmware revisions?
Don’t remember that option (could’ve missed it).

I wrote down the flash but I’m still learning these. This one came from a area where edacs was just abandoned (5 year migration with P25) and a few years ago the Phase 1 System went Phase 2. 800 MHz with EDACs is what I currently know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B00B

Post by B00B » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:24 pm

The Orion is a cool radio. One of my favorites. The M7100 is newer and does share the same accessories as the Orion, like Control head, and cables. At my desk at work I currently have an Orion in a consolette monitoring the one of the local PDs that still use EDACS in my location.