Motorola P25 Enhanced Data config question

General P25 discussion
Fatboy

Motorola P25 Enhanced Data config question

Postby Fatboy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:49 pm

All,
I have a customer who is currently running classic IV&D on their P25 system, but will be migrating to Enhanced Data in the next several months (along with their Phase 2 migration). I am currently dealing with several thousand subs where I am doing some upgrades and updates as well as adding to RM. Does it make sense to populate the subs with dummy Enhanced Data info and have them revert to IV&D (per Moto instructions) OR not populate the Enhanced Data fields? Our plan is to push correct ED info update via POP25/RM once the ED backend has been built out (or is known). I know OTA programming is slow, but since we would only be pushing the codeplug differences, does one of the above choices seem better than the other? Thank you, FB.

Notarola
Site Admin

Re: Motorola P25 Enhanced Data config question

Postby Notarola » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:59 pm

Either would work. I would be putting in real ED info if you have it and let the units default to IV if the ED is not recognized or active. No point in reprogramming twice :).

Fatboy

Postby Fatboy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:42 pm

Notarola,
Yeah that's where I am with it. No one knows what the details will be prior to system integration. I know we will be programming again, I can only get so many firmware updates, AES upgrades, codeplug changes, FLASH upgrades, etc done in one shot. I have 2 full tables full of laptops/KVLs and still will need to make another pass. I did not realize why there were so many people who refused this assignment or were thrown off of the site prior to my arrival. But, it is now all making sense...................... FB

Notarola
Site Admin

Postby Notarola » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:20 pm

Knowlage is power or at least job security. They dont need to know you have a support network here.

motorola_otaku

Postby motorola_otaku » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Codeplug differential changes push pretty fast over POP25... you'd be surprised.

I've been following your various threads and it sounds like you and I are in similar situations. :) What's worked for me is doing firmware/flash and loading a base codeplug outside of RM, then hitting it with a template through RM via USB prior to deployment once it's assigned to someone. Post-deployment codeplug changes are done via POP25, firmware and flash are queued from a desktop PC running RM while a field tech goes out and hits it with their laptop running device programmer. One caveat: all of our facilities have Wifi hotspots, as do most of our vehicles.

Fatboy

Postby Fatboy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:36 pm

That is exactly what we ended up doing. And you are right.... On newest firmware OTAP moves quicker than me driving around hunting radios..... Small changes in codeplug are easy, we scheduled about 300 radio alias changes and they take about 20-30 seconds each. Set it and forget it! FB

motorola_otaku

Postby motorola_otaku » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:46 pm

How do y'all handle user notifications when you push out POP25 updates? I can't very well have the main unit radio on a pumper or ambulance start beeping RESET ME when they're running hot to a call. :lol:

Return to “P25”