DMR -> APRS

Gortex2

DMR -> APRS

Post by Gortex2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:58 am

So i asked this in the past but I still am curious. Has anyone toyed with pulling the internal GPS from a MotoTrbo radio to use for APRS ? Ideally I would love to build something to pull GPS data from the DMR network and push it to the local APRS network.
Falcon
Site Admin

Re: DMR -> APRS

Post by Falcon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:22 am

I don't know that there is any way to pull it for analog. Probably would take some aftermarket firmware (which obviously does not exist) and in digital you would tie up one of your available time slots for data.
support@commtechforums.net
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
BatFan

Post by BatFan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:26 am

This works on the Brandmeister network now, if you have it enabled in the radio it will send your position to the APRS network. I have not played with this yet though however so I am not exactly sure how to set it up or how it works, but my understanding is it does work as intended.
Falcon
Site Admin

Post by Falcon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:47 am

BatFan wrote:This works on the Brandmeister network now, if you have it enabled in the radio it will send your position to the APRS network. I have not played with this yet though however so I am not exactly sure how to set it up or how it works, but my understanding is it does work as intended.
Interesting. I had not heard that. Awesome for it to be working though. Maybe someone can come along and provide some more info.
support@commtechforums.net
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
BatFan

Post by BatFan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:53 am

If I can ever get CPS installed on my server (don't ask.. it's one of those projects that I ask myself just exactly WHY in the hell am I doing this!!??) I plan on playing with it, but gotta wrestle through these issues first.
travisstorma

Post by travisstorma » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:28 pm

I've set my 5550 up and it works pretty good here on the Oklahoma Brandmeister network.

http://www.af6fb.net/2016/04/brandmeist ... p-gps.html
Gortex2

Post by Gortex2 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Guess i need to get a DMR radio now. I wasn't aware folks were doing this but it looks promising. In my area DMR hasn't taken off but I ma do it anyway.
kb5zcs

Post by kb5zcs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:32 pm

If you are on the brsndmiester network it will show up on aprs.fi.......

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk
NavyBOFH
CTF Mod

Post by NavyBOFH » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:09 pm

I am still trying to sort out our "linking issues" here to see if we can use APRS functionality. I work on the SCHEART system, which is tied into the entire NCPRN network... but in SC we have on every repeater a Time Slot 1 TG for Data/GPS which is available at all times. I don't know if this is a TG we allocated for future use of CAD/EOC type systems, or with the intention of using it on APRS for location tracking on DMR. We still use a C-Bridge on our side but I think NCPRN has gone over to Brandmeister - which is where my confusion comes in as to which "server" SCHEART is really on right now.

Either way - as soon as I find out the APRS ability of our network I will be playing with it extensively. I like using it for my work truck since there's times where I might want to say "I am stuck - come find me here" lol
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
Project25
Wiki Admin

Post by Project25 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:01 pm

You have to be careful with this as The data containing that GPS packets is not part of the Tier II spec so it may not work properly will all manufacturers radios. It was standardized last year for Tier III.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk