P25NX and Raspberry Pi

User avatar
Falcon
Site Admin
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:12 am
Location: US of A
Contact:

P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by Falcon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:48 am

Anyone got the new system working with the Pi? I've downloaded the files but I've not messed around with it yet.
support@commtechforums.net
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
User avatar
BatFan
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by BatFan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:18 am

I'd like to take a stab at this at some point, I didn't know the image was downloadable though?

Where is it? I can't seem to find it.
User avatar
Falcon
Site Admin
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:12 am
Location: US of A
Contact:

Re: P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by Falcon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:21 am

BatFan wrote:I'd like to take a stab at this at some point, I didn't know the image was downloadable though?

Where is it? I can't seem to find it.
Link for you!

Really want to get this working! It will make the P25 network even more amazing.
support@commtechforums.net
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
User avatar
BatFan
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by BatFan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:33 am

Oh wow.. I didn't even know he had released this stuff!!!! Awesome... Ill have to see what I can do with it if anything ;)
User avatar
racer38
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:55 am

Re: P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by racer38 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:06 pm

The MMDVM P25 stuff has been working pretty well. There are only 4 reflectors at present set up as talk groups. P25NX is still in the development stages.
I actually have my repeater RF linked via a DV4Mini to the PCS002 00 ..
User avatar
Falcon
Site Admin
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:12 am
Location: US of A
Contact:

Re: P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by Falcon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:22 pm

racer38 wrote:The MMDVM P25 stuff has been working pretty well. There are only 4 reflectors at present set up as talk groups. P25NX is still in the development stages.
I actually have my repeater RF linked via a DV4Mini to the PCS002 00 ..
Yeah, I knew that it was but it's a fantastic project.

Thought about doing that with a DV4Mini.
support@commtechforums.net
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
User avatar
Astro Spectra
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:02 am

Re: P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by Astro Spectra » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:45 pm

A couple of points:

The P25NX present TCP<>UDP Pi V2 adapter image version 2.1 runs on most Pi boards OK but not the Pi 2 Model B V1.2 so avoid that board for the mean time.

Even with the image if you plan to join you'll need access to the P25NX reflector for a few post-install Pi tweaks and for the example Cisco router config.

P25NX and the mmdvm project are a bit different, the P25NX is a network, implemented with Cisco routers and Raspberry Pi boards mainly for the Quantar but some early work on interoperation with mmdvm has been done (not ready for prime time). The mmdvm is a analog to hybrid digital interface to convert an FM transceiver or repeater into a digital node for Icom's DSTAR, Yaesu's FUSION, DMR, or P25. It talks to the various reflectors for each mode.

I have had V2 working but need to migrate the router and Pi boards to our site to replace the current V1 install.
User avatar
NavyBOFH
CTF Mod
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: USA

Re: P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by NavyBOFH » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:32 pm

I am looking into this as well. I have an RPi Model 3 sitting around with nothing to do - so I am about to order an MMDVM board and give it a whirl.

For us - it is a two-fold project. One - I would LOVE to get two Quantars in my area linked up and provide P25 Mixed Mode traffic over a wide area, even better if I can do it over RPi instead of resorting to digging old Cisco routers out of the company basement.

Second project is our statewide ham network. It is running mostly off aging MSF5000s and I am trying to find a new repeater replacement AND a replacement to the custom IRLP system we run. Our system runs a customized setup where we have our own Conference servers and our own node software so our linking is only done within our network. If I do that, I would try to use the P25NX source code and the MMDVMs to 1) make a new "conference server" and 2) make a mixed-mode P25 repeater out of items we still use - i.e. scrap the MSF5000s and use their power supply/PA deck/cabinet and wire it up to two mobiles as a repeater. We do that right now for low-band EMD comms and it works much better than our aging GE repeaters.

I have really started picking up interest in this project - and am hoping we can all find some new uses for MMDVM and for P25NX. To me, I think the P25NX network is MUCH better than the DMR garbage we are dealing with - up to and including these cheap $100 radios, AGC issues, and the "false teeth and colostomy bag bunch" of hams that tie up DMR with nonsense traffic. It is a shame we spent years building up a 26-repeater system for it to be wasted.
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
User avatar
Murphy
CTF Team Supporter
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:27 am
Location: Deep in the Heart of TEXAS

Re: P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by Murphy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:20 am

NavyBOFH wrote:I am looking into this as well. I have an RPi Model 3 sitting around with nothing to do - so I am about to order an MMDVM board and give it a whirl.

For us - it is a two-fold project. One - I would LOVE to get two Quantars in my area linked up and provide P25 Mixed Mode traffic over a wide area, even better if I can do it over RPi instead of resorting to digging old Cisco routers out of the company basement.

Second project is our statewide ham network. It is running mostly off aging MSF5000s and I am trying to find a new repeater replacement AND a replacement to the custom IRLP system we run. Our system runs a customized setup where we have our own Conference servers and our own node software so our linking is only done within our network. If I do that, I would try to use the P25NX source code and the MMDVMs to 1) make a new "conference server" and 2) make a mixed-mode P25 repeater out of items we still use - i.e. scrap the MSF5000s and use their power supply/PA deck/cabinet and wire it up to two mobiles as a repeater. We do that right now for low-band EMD comms and it works much better than our aging GE repeaters.

I have really started picking up interest in this project - and am hoping we can all find some new uses for MMDVM and for P25NX. To me, I think the P25NX network is MUCH better than the DMR garbage we are dealing with - up to and including these cheap $100 radios, AGC issues, and the "false teeth and colostomy bag bunch" of hams that tie up DMR with nonsense traffic. It is a shame we spent years building up a 26-repeater system for it to be wasted.
Hey Navy, a little off topic here, but thought I'd throw this out to ya, FYI I have several MSF5000's 250watt UHF in case you need to replace some or need parts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shohna Ba Shohna - "Shoulder To Shoulder"
User avatar
NavyBOFH
CTF Mod
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: USA

Re: P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by NavyBOFH » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:57 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I think my agency (and the supporting agencies of this system) would rather kick these MSFs off a cliff than to continue supporting them - it was more of a "they were free" moment and surprisingly they've held up to the past ~10 years of use past what life they had in federal hands.

I am pushing for us to go P25 as part of the upgrade but we will see what sticks. I am specifically pushing Simoco repeaters for the cost and built-in IP connectivity but I might persuade the higher-ups to grab the P25NX source code and try to build out a private server like we have for IRLP now.
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
User avatar
Falcon
Site Admin
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:12 am
Location: US of A
Contact:

Re: P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by Falcon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:16 pm

Just FYI, came across this the other day.

http://p25.io/p25nx-rasperry-pi-install/
support@commtechforums.net
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
User avatar
livinpromise
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by livinpromise » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Wondering if someone can help get my quantar linked up to p25nx. I have the quantar, cisco 1841, and a pi. I don't know which cables I'm going to need or how to set it up. I've been unable to locate a guide anywhere. Thanks.
User avatar
Falcon
Site Admin
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:12 am
Location: US of A
Contact:

Re: P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by Falcon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:15 am

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/p25nx has the info that you seek. There is an image/install for the Pi available. You will need a dumb network switch as well.

You will also need the V.24 board for the Quantar. http://www.p25nx.net/#shop As well as the cable to go from the serial HWIC on the cisco.
support@commtechforums.net
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
User avatar
NavyBOFH
CTF Mod
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: USA

Re: P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by NavyBOFH » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:00 am

Falcon wrote:https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/p25nx has the info that you seek. There is an image/install for the Pi available. You will need a dumb network switch as well.

You will also need the V.24 board for the Quantar. http://www.p25nx.net/#shop As well as the cable to go from the serial HWIC on the cisco.
So hang on... does this mean that I can set up the rPi as a P25NX node now? Is this still for Quantar only or will it work with the MMDVM plug-ins so I can run a hotspot and/or homemade repeater?

Ive been out of the loop so badly on this that I don't know if my dreams have finally come true. If so, I have a non-P25 Mastr III I can finally put on the air lol
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
User avatar
MattSR
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:03 am

Re: P25NX and Raspberry Pi

Post by MattSR » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:31 am

Its P25NX only.
Post Reply